The Chivalrous Violation of Women’s Bodies by @WomenCanSee
The Chivalrous Violation of Women's Bodies
If women don't want to be grabbed, pulled, & kissed, we should avoid the company of gentleman.
It is a gentleman's right to display "chivalrous" drunken behaviour:
• moving to sit closely right behind the only other bus passenger- a woman…chivalry!;
• leaning over her shoulder so close she can smell the alcohol on his breath…chivalry!;
• saying "inappropriate" things to a woman stranger…chivalry!;
• attempting to kiss the hand of a stranger when it is not offered…chivalry!;
• continuing the inappropriate behaviour when a woman directly tells him to stop…chivalry!;
• following a woman after she has told him to STOP & has moved to stand beside the bus driver…chivalry!;
• grabbing a woman's hand again after she has angled her body to avoid that…chivalry!;
• pushing his torso against a woman's torso…chivalry!;
• kissing her hand again…chivalry!.
Women might think this was assault, harassment, & sexual assault, but the legal system comes to a different conclusion.
According to the magistrates the most salient factor in this encounter is not the assault by a man on a woman, nor is it the man continuing to harass & violate the woman after she has verbally & physically indicated to him to stop. Instead they have judged the salient factor to be the man's intentions. Vidas Cernevicius reports his intentions were friendly & polite, not sexual. His defence council claimed he was being a chivalrous gentleman, & the magistrates agreed. Costs covered.
Again the systems created within a patriarchal culture function to uphold the gender hierarchy: men's feelings are important; women's rights are unimportant.
Our lives & bodies are not our own, they are for men to act out chivalry upon.
Case as reported by The Leader [link: http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/150880/-chivalrous-man-who-kissed-lone-woman-s-hand-on-bus-cleared-by-court-of-sexual-assault.aspx] Download this post as PDF? Click here