An 11 year old girl has a “romantic” relationship with a 60 year old man
This is the reason given by Italy's top appeals court to annul a 5 year sentence for child sexual abuse. Apparently, the 11 year old girl and a 60 year old were in a "romantic relationship" and the 11 year old is " in love" with a 60 year old man.
Details on the case are sketchy in the UK media but certain facts are known.
1. The man works for the local social services.
2. The child was living with the man at the time having been placed in his care.
3. The sexual violence was discovered during a police raid of the man's villa,
4. The age of consent in Italy is 14; 16 if the partner is in a position of trust.
5. The court of appeals was overturned the sentence because of "extenuating circumstances".
6. The "extenuating circumstances" are the fact that the pair are "in love"
7. The case has been returned to the original jurisdiction for a retrial which is within the bounds of the normal legal process in Italy.
Let us be very clear here: this is a case of child rape. There are no "extenuating circumstances" ever which result in a child having a consenting sexual relationship with an adult. The fact that the child was placed in the care of the adult demonstrates a fundamental failure of child protection in the jurisdiction. A judge who believes a child can consent to a sexual relationship with an adult in a position of power over them should not have his job.
This is a clear case of child sexual abuse. This is rape culture in action.Download this post as PDF? Click here